Wednesday, May 14, 2008

what about my bag?


So the other day I had to pick up a few groceries. I walked in right behind a man who appeared to be in his 20's and I'm guessing that he was of African decent. The security at the door made him check his bag. The young man actually offered it up as if he knew the drill and then went on his way. It was my turn now and I offered my bags (I had multiple). He waved me on and shook his head. I didn't need to check mine. At first I was relieved because honestly, I don't trust anyone and it takes extra time. But as I made my way to the dairy section I grew increasingly unsettled. This wasn't the first time that I didn't have to check my bags. It wasn't the first time that security had waved me through without a second glance. And it wasn't the first time that I had seen racially diverse men get profiled in such a way. Why don't all customers get the same treatment? Don't I look threatening enough? Before my brain could really even formulate a response to my rambling thoughts, I was out of the store and headed home. But since then, this situation has popped into my head more than once. I offer no explanation or opinion (although you might already have an idea), I just wanted to write a little diddy about it and post it for all the world to see. Yes we are blessed with freedoms, but not all of us experience them in the same way. Something to think about...

1 comment:

Livi said...

Good blog. I love it when people actually blog about important topics.