Monday, October 26, 2009

i didn't start the fire 2

I don't normally get ready for bed twice in one day, but the other night I had to. The first round was routine. But the second came out of necessity.

I was sitting at my computer ready to shut down for the night when I heard sirens. Yes, quite routine in the city, even more so in my neighborhood, but when they stop right in front of my building, it does cause some concern. So like any normal person stuck on the fifth floor of an old building I ran to the window to confirm that the commotion was indeed right outside my window. RESULT: Yes. They were right outside my window.

One, two, three, and then four fire trucks had all converged on the street below. Sirens wailing, lights flashing, and passers-by all standing on the opposite side. The situation was oddly familiar. If you'll remember the same thing happened a few years ago around the exact same time--October--when my friend Cheri was visiting. She was the one who woke up, heard the sirens, noticed the lights, and decided that she had better wake me. Strange that her whispering my name woke me up rather than the sirens outside.

Now I was faced with a real decision. The last time this happened we didn’t know whether or not we should evacuate. The same dilemma was mine this time too. Instead of dialing 911, however, I ran to get my camera and took a picture.

After I snapped my shot, I decided I should prepare for the worst and got dressed. I debated putting my make up on again. After all, if I couldn’t get back into my apartment for the night (Yes, I’m good at worst case scenarios), then I would have to be out and about until I found a place to stay. I opted to get dressed and skipped the makeup. The next decision--what to take with me?

I considered grabbing my carry on and stuffing it full of things....a change of clothing, my laptop, my purse, my camera, photos....I wondered how long I had. I was pretty sure that I could be very quick. Looking back, I find it funny that even in a questionably unsafe condition, I was more worried about my belongings and the way that I looked than my actual safety.

Anyway, before I had an opportunity to pack a bag, the lights stopped flashing and the firemen packed up and left. I was safe. No need to flee...

But I did have to get ready for bed once again.

1 comment:

Susieq said...

Wow, that sounds scary.