Monday, January 18, 2010

2010: year of the "don't put the bold on hold"


I must give credit, where credit is due--this year's new mantra


"Don't put the bold on hold"


is a phrase lovingly borrowed from my good friend, Sarah. A few years ago, this was her year's mantra. For 2010, it is mine.

Quite recently, a few of my really good friends have made big decisions. Considering that I am feeling that change is in the air, I have been watching them and admiring their go-get-'em attitudes. It's something that I've always wanted to adopt but for one reason or another, passivity has held me back. What if something went wrong? What if I made a wrong decision? What if I was rejected? I realized however, that I have been worry unnecessarily. So what if I fail? At least I tried. Worrying about something before it has even happened or WILL ever happen takes up entirely too much energy and time. I'm not condoning leaping without looking. Weighing options is still a valuable part of decision making. But be brave! I realized that no one is holding me back expect for me. So, if I want to save all my money and travel to Italy, then I'm going to. (That might take a year or two, but still. Do it!) If I want to take a class, I will rearrange my schedule so that I can. If I want to tell someone exactly how I feel, I will. The possibilities are endless and the idea of taking control is well, liberating.


So here's to 2010 and the year of "Don't put the bold on hold!"

Here are a few things that I am excited for this year...

1. Learning more about nutrition and cooking
2. Reading more books
3. Going to the gym
4. Dejunking my apartment and life
5. Reconnecting with friends
6. Improving my relationship with God
7. Learning more about my Poly culture & heritage
8. Being more honest with myself and others
9. Serving more
10. Being brave

...to be continued as I see fit...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love it! That would be a good one for me as well. =)

Christie Norris said...

Be bold...be brave...be smart...