Sunday, October 3, 2010

"you are what you eat, food does matter"

For those of you that know me, you'll know that my quest for a workable and healthy diet has had it's ups and downs and also that I've been a little obsessed with it.  (Apologies if you tire of me talking of how important it is to eat whole & unprocessed foods.)  I have experimented, for varying amounts of times, with diets that were strictly organic, only local, strictly vegetarian, mostly vegetarian, low carb, unprocessed & whole foods, and even some raw & living foods.  While I can't say that I am the best at sticking to any one type of diet, what I can say is that I have gleaned something valuable from each way of life.  I can also say, without the least bit of hesitation, that when you are on your own quest to improve your health and diet, you need to figure out what works best for you.  In my opinion that comes through education, experimentation, evaluation, modification, and finding motivation.  (Doesn't all change require that type of a pattern?)  It also takes time, which many of us don't claim to have.  But if our health is at stake, isn't it worth it to spend a little more time on something that can bring us so many benefits now AND in the future?  

Anyway, one thing that I find myself coming back to when I need a little burst of motivation is a documentary called Food Matters.  My first exposure to this film was when I won this DVD at a lecture about permaculture that my friend Anthony Anderson (aka the Raw Model) spoke at.  I'll have to post the story of how we met some time.  It's a little embarrassing but it makes me laugh and I can't tell you how grateful I am that we did meet.  He has been such a source of inspiration to me...so much so, that I am looking at the raw diet again.  I don't see myself (at this point) doing a completely raw diet.  But rather, I want to see how much I can fully adopt.  Maybe it will end up being a "raw before dinner" type of a deal.  I don't know.  But I really do believe in the power of whole, natural foods and think that we are doing ourselves and our families a disservice if we turn a deaf ear to this whole school of thought. 

For your viewing pleasure and in an effort to persuade you to rent the movie, I've included the trailer.  The video was compelling and presented arguments that can't intelligently be disputed.  So here's to your health!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

The Platt's said...

I am so glad that you posted this. I watch Food, Inc. not too long ago and it has me rethinking everything we eat. We've started buying organic and are trying really hard to eat fresh. There is no way I could do it if I didn't have Jon. He loves to cook and feeds me well. I just put Food Matters in my netflix que so that I can watch it. I think this is something that we as a society have ignored, much to our peril, for WAY too long! It is evident in the disease and health issues that are all around us. So what about you??? When do I get to see you already?!?!?!?!

malia said...

I am excited for you to see it! I want hear what you think once you do. And that is great about Jon. Lucky girl! :) Eating right well definitely takes a little more effort, but with time, I think it gets easier. At least that is what I keep telling myself. :)

And I know! I need to come and visit you soon! Maybe I can come for a quick visit in November or something. It would be SO great to see you!!!...and meet your husband and darling little girl.

The Platt's said...

WHAT?!??!!?!?! You have never met Jon and Madeline. That is NOT okay! Let's remedy that! Okay, I just watched the movie. We need to talk about it! In the last couple of months I have been inundated with all sorts of information like this. It has completely changed the way that I look at food. It will take some time for me to figure out how to incorporate all the things that are important, but knowledge is a good first step. I am really impressed by how little we talk about nutritian in America. Okay, when are we going to talk?

malia said...

Oh! I am SO happy that you watched it! It's such a good film! I wish that it was mandatory viewing for every human.

Maybe we can chat tomorrow? That would be fun. I'll send you my phone number.

But in a nutshell, I think the way that we incorporate all of this stuff into our lives is, like you said, first knowledge. Then you need to decide to take action. And then it's all about taking baby steps as you sort through everything that is thrown at you. You keep what you like and what works for you and until you are ready to go to the next level. But yeah, let's chat about it. Heaven knows I am always looking for people who want to talk about this stuff with me. It makes me so excited. haha