Monday, September 27, 2010

makuakane, aloha au ia 'oe

Thank goodness for music and for the modern day technologies that allow us to record it. For the last hour I have been listening to the same two songs over and over again: My Yellow Ginger Lei and Ke Kali Nei Au (the Hawaiian Wedding song). Yes, sometimes I just want to hear the songs of the islands, but more often than not, I just want to hear my dad. That is the case tonight. I just wanted to hear my dad’s beautiful voice sing the music that he loved. Though the voices of the Aloha Islanders blend beautifully, I can still hear him over the others…a discovery that I revel in every single time.

Now, I’m not writing for sympathy or because I have a desire for others to drown in my sorrow with me. I just needed another way to get it all out. I needed something more than an hour’s worth of music to help me get through the evening.

It’s been ten years, two months and six days since I last saw him; ten years, two months and five days since I last heard his voice over the phone. It’s hard to believe that much time has actually passed and yet I remember the day he died just like it was yesterday. The memory of it continues to stop me in my tracks as I remember the details of it all. I miss him. I will always miss him. But there are days that I miss him more than others. I suppose today is just one of those days. I suppose that all of us, every now and again, just need a good cry. 

Makuakane, aloha au ia 'oe...

4 comments:

The Platt's said...

What a beautiful post! I want you to post the music so that I can hear it too! I've sure missed you, Malia! We need to plan a get together! Soon!!! Lots of Love! ~abbie

Christie Norris said...

Do post the music! I can't believe it's been 10 years. I love you!

malia said...

Thanks, Ladies. If I can figure out how to post something from itunes, I will definitely post those two songs.

Rachel said...

Love you Malia. It's been 19 years since my dad passed away, and the other night I had a dream and he was in it! We were shopping and he gave me a hug. I woke up so excited to have experienced that for the first time in so long. I miss my dad so much some times, I totally understand how you are feeling. Life goes on doesn't it? You are amazing and I'm sure he is watching over you and is so proud of who you are!