Sunday, November 7, 2010

whip my hair



While this song is totally catchy and Willow Smith has got some serious talent, this video completely disturbs me.  Whatever happened to children being children?

Instead of the sweet innocence of youth, here we have a young girl and her entourage gyrating back and forth, literally crawling across the floor, and seductively moving across the screen--bedazzled and bejeweled from head to foot.

Not only does the video's content disturb me, but also the method behind the madness.  I'm not saying that young children shouldn't perform or that they shouldn't develop talent.  I'm not even saying that in some cases, with good, parental supervision and support, that they shouldn't be in the public eye.  What I am questioning is the reason behind her parents sanctioning such an early entrance to the world of this type of stardom.  She's 9 years old and she is being made up to look like she is 19.  When I was 9 I was still playing Barbies and having neighborhood water fights.  I don't get it and I don't like it.  Let her be a little girl--a talented little girl--but a little girl still the same.

3 comments:

Christie Norris said...

Looks more like something we would have done when we were little, in our basement with costumes and to mock a song. If she wasn't being so serious, that's what I would assume it was.

malia said...

Something tells me it would have been fun to have been your childhood friend...Or maybe I just would have gotten in trouble a lot. :)

Cathy Hill said...

I just stalked you. I found you through Bev's blog. You still owe me a visist. Come out to the Chi this summer. I will show you a good time!