Saturday, September 29, 2007

could it be worse?

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse."

"When the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?"

Penned by Coldplay these depressing words seem to speak to me. Intense and emotional by nature, I find meaning in life through relationships. Money, prestige, power, career, opportunity--everything the world deems as important seems to pale in comparison with an intimate attachment to another person. In my mind's eye, nothing is more important than a friend or a family member, another human being. Loyalty, even before self-preservation.

But life has taught me that few people share this. The natural instinct to take the easy road or to bail when things are tough usually overpowers any inclination to make a continued effort--to make a sacrifice. Holding others to this same standard could be thought of as impractical or a little rigid. Many make that argument. But for me, when push comes to shove, when it is time to hit the pavement, I will not deviate. A promise is a promise and nothing will cause me to go back on my word. I do not understand the other option.

And so these words caught hold of me. Losing those I love is one of the greatest challenges that I will ever face in this lifetime. It is crippling. But I cannot think of a greater "hell on earth" than having someone you love choose to leave, choose to walk away, choose to break promise upon promise. Loving someone--not necessarily romantically (but those relationships would absolutely qualify)--and having them throw it back in your face is devastating. Love completely wasted. History, experiences, and feelings disregarded. Disposed, just like that. Selective selfishness over sacrifice. I ask you, could anything be worse? My answer? NO.

Fix You
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r259kFx3l7g

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautifully written. I agree. It must take actually losing someone to realize how important those relationships really are. Love you.

Dottie Stay said...

You are so profound! So true. I love that coldplay song too. it is just beautiful! You are a great writer.

Annie said...

Malia, I've gone private...could you email me your address? anne_aitken@hotmail.com
Thanks!

maWeesa said...

MALIA.. YOU HAVE A BLOG! SO FUN TO FIND FRIENDS ON HERE! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP ON THE JOB FRONT. I'M STILL WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM CHILDREN'S AID, BUT IT'S LOOKING GOOD!

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

Malia, Your blog is so insightful! Oh, by the way, I love it when old friends look at our blog, so I'm happy you went to it through Sarah's! Wow, I'm so excited for her going to Africa, but so sad I won't get to talk to her as much.

Melissa said...

Hey Malia- It's Melissa, Liza's sister, don't know if you remember me. Anyway, my little sister-in-law recently moved to NYC too. She is playing volleyball for NYU and it pretty overwhelmed by the whole experience. If you ever run into her tell her hello and and to keep her chin up. He name is Bethany Burr, she is about 5'10" and is so gorgeous. Oh yeah and that coldplay song is the best.

Livi said...

I love Coldplay but mostly I love you!