Thursday, February 7, 2008

:( to :) in 60 seconds


I had a "disappointed in New Yorkers" moment today. I was on the train tonight, heading home after an extra long day at work. Grateful to be seated, I zoned out until I heard the sound of coins falling to the ground. The spill was followed by a homeless man getting upset and telling another man to pick up his coins. Apparently the man's girlfriend had knocked it out of his hands (no doubt, by accident). The man was getting increasingly aggitated and went on and on about them needing to pick up his coins because they caused him to spill it. I kept waiting for the couple to apologize or to make some sort of an effort to help recover the coins. Nothing. He got progressively louder and threatened to get crazy on all of us. I got a little anxious because I know that most people don't deal with the homeless very well or very nicely. The man and his girlfriend, both dressed in fine coats and suits turned their backs to the man and just shook their heads. We reached the next stop and they actually moved away from the scene of the crime. Still no apology. Still no effort to help. Enter disappointment.


When the couple moved and others emptied from the train, I looked down and saw the floor covered in coins. At the exact same moment, I along with two random men stooped down and started to pick up the coins. Picking up coins from the subway floor with no nails (I just cut them yesterday) is a lot harder than you think. Especially when you are trying to work fast and are hunched over with packages in front of you. But nonetheless, we got the coins picked up and put back into the man's paper cup. Another passenger pulled out a dollar bill and placed it in the cup when we were finished. My heart warmed as I reflected on our joint efforts to help someone out. I was grateful that my "dissapointed in New Yorkers" moment was outshined by a "this is one of the reasons I love New York" moment. To those that helped me pick up those coins...thank you. And to that couple that turned their noses up at "one of the least of these"...shame on you!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I knew you would help him! You are one of the best people I know! How can people be so cruel?

Anonymous said...

you're a good person.

Jared said...

Stories like that are what make me miss the city. I can't wait to come back in May. Thanks for sharing... and caring. ;)

The Favorite said...

You are the most Charity-filled person I know! Thank you for being you!

Livi said...

Wow THAT is a NY moment for you. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I think that's a funny thing about New York. Often the most visible parts are the most repulsive, but if you just barely scratch the surface, you'll find pure gold.

Thanks for sharing.

S&F Seminario said...

This is such a wonderful blog. It is so nice to read something that reminds me that there are so many good people in the world. It is a perfect post to go above President Hinckley's on your blog.