Friday, March 20, 2009

even though i'll never know you again, we'll still be friends!

So I made a friend today while sitting in the park on Wednesday. She was four. Her nanny was attending to her older sister who was freaking out because she was loosing a tooth. They asked for napkins and water. Luckily, I had both. Here are some snippets of my conversation with this articulate and charming little girl: (She is in bold)

"My sister's bleeding and she is very upset." "I know, I can see that. But I think she will be ok, don't you?" "Yes, it's just a tooth, it's not like a robber came and shot you." "You are absolutely right."

"You are pretty. You must be nice." "Why thank you. I think you're pretty nice too."

"I like your earrings. What are they made of?" "I'm not sure. Maybe they are made out of plastic. What do you think? (At this point I let her touch the earrings.)" "Hmm, they look like they are made from the ocean. You know how I know?" "No, tell me." "Well they are shiny and pretty and I recognize them from the ocean." "Oh, ok. They look like they are made from shells from the ocean." "Yep." "You're pretty smart." "I know."

"You must be smart because you're eating smart food." "I'm eating a salad. It has a lot of healthy things in it, right?" "Yep, smart food. I don't like it."

And finally, as she was walking away waving furiously….

"Even though I'll never know you again, we'll still be friends!"

3 comments:

Carr Family said...

That is too cute!!

Brett and Diane said...

Oh my word sooooo cute and precious! I love little kids no wonder God wants us to be like them.

Bev said...

I love kids, what a cute little girl!