Tuesday, September 22, 2009

can i get an amen?


My commute, from start to finish is a little less than an hour--depending on the train traffic and just how late I might leave the apartment. To pass the time and to satiate my need to always be doing something productive, I listen to podcasts in the morning and on the return trip home. When my brain can't handle any more learning, I'll switch over to my music. Typically, I will listen to a past General Conference talk in the morning and something a little more secular later in the day.

Yesterday, was no different....well, almost.

It was rush hour. The train was packed and I was, as usual, surrounded by throngs of commuting strangers. Per my routine, I clicked on a talk that I hadn't listened to in a while. Apparently, I was completely engrossed because before I knew it, he closed with the typical "Amen" and I followed suit.

"Amen," I uttered aloud. Now, I didn't whisper. I used a normal talking voice. Yep...

Immediately, the four other people that I was sharing the pole with jerked their heads around and looked at me...very strangely. Now, I don't get usually get embarrassed. If something "embarrassing" happens to me, I am usually the first one to laugh at myself. I find it funny, not embarrassing. But this time, I was embarrassed. Not that it should matter but I didn't want these people thinking that I was some sort of religious nut preparing to start a sermon of some sort.

However, despite my being embarrassed, I couldn't stop laughing at myself. I mean, it is funny. But I was dying to get off the train. Luckily, I only had one more stop before I switched to the R/W line and found sweet, heavenly relief.

5 comments:

Livi said...

malia, Sam and I just read this and are LAUGHING so hard out loud right now!!!! I love your blog. I also listen to GC podcasts. They are the best right?? Thanks for sharing such a fun story!!!!!! I miss you tons.

Bev said...

I can't stop chuckling, b/c i can see you doing that! I love and miss you!!!!

Christie Norris said...

I love it! I wish I could have been there to see it/hear it!!

MMMegan said...

One time I answered the phone and said "Dear Heavenly Father..." only to hear maniacal laughing on the other friend. My brother's friend Sika thought I had an awfully good opinion of him after that.

Rachel said...

I do stuff like that, except it's more embarrassing because words slip out of my mouth while I'm starting to nod off- in places I'm not supposed to be nodding off in- like class or church. For instance, I was studying for a test one night with Tyler Bahr and while he was reading a chapter out of our text book I began to fall asleep. Suddenly, without warning, these words came out of my mouth, "I'm so excited..." Tyler stopped reading and looked up at me. Talking out loud had awoken me and I was soooo emabarrassed. I covered by saying, "Oh, I mean, I'm NOT excited to take this test!" Ahhhhh! So embarrassing!