Monday, February 28, 2011

jazzed

My mom is probably one of the biggest Utah Jazz fans I know.  I've always been a lover of basketball but I am almost certain that part of the reason I am so invested in the game...especially in my Utah Jazz...is because of her enthusiasm and yes, undying devotion for the team.

Example 1:  A little while ago, my mom recounted her first experiences with and thoughts on Jon, my sister's husband.  She recalls that he had started to come around quite a bit, that he seemed really nice, was a hard worker, liked the Jazz, and treated my sister well.  I found it hysterical that out of all the qualities that she could have mentioned about a potential son-in-law, one of the qualities that she felt so important to actually mention was his affinity for the Jazz.  So if by some off chance, my future husband is reading this, please note:  Make sure that you like the Jazz...or at least pretend to...or as a last result, at least like basketball.

Example 2:  Living across the country doesn't always allow me to get home as often as I would like.  Thankfully, I am able to go home about two or three times a year.  What I find to be really comical is that despite the distance that I have traveled and despite the limited time I have at home, if there is a Jazz game on, she would really rather just sit and watch that together than go out.  Again, it's a good thing that I like basketball.

Example 3:  For those of you who don't know, my mother is a first grade teacher at Cherry Hill Elementary.  It's the same elementary school that I attended starting in the second grade and is conveniently located about two blocks away from our home.  For the last 13 years the Utah Jazz have been encouraging and supporting literacy among school-aged children through a reading contest named "Be a Team Player--Read".  Cherry Hill Elementary has been participating for the last few years and is one of 58 schools in the state of Utah that decided to participate this year.  The top 10 schools that accumulate the most out-of-school-time minutes reading win an ice cream party and a visit from a Jazz Player.   Two years ago, Cherry Hill ranked among the top schools and happily received a visit from Ronnie Brewer (now with the Bulls).  None of us were there to witness this glorious moment, but a picture of my mother next to Brewer clearly indicated that she was on cloud nine.  I don't know if I've ever seen a bigger smile in one of her pictures.  As mentioned, Cherry Hill participated in the contest during the month of February.  I'm not going to lie, I wanted Cherry Hill to win so badly that I may have prayed for it a couple of times.  Happily, they won and will be rewarded with a visit from a player soon.  We're not sure who it will be now that D-Will has flown the coop (I know, he was traded.), but he will be a Jazz player still the same and I cannot wait to see the new pictures!

Example 4:  My mom and I text every day.  It's usually in the morning or if something really significant happens...or if something happens with the Jazz.  I usually hear about a win or a tough loss.  Needless to say, the day that Jerry Sloan resigned we exchanged quite a few...same with the D. Williams trade.  It was during the D. Williams trade text conversation that I realized how happy I was that this is something that we can share together.  It may sound silly or trite, but it is something that we both love and can talk about.  It's brought us closer and I kind of love that.

My hope is that one day I can take her to a Jazz game...and not just a nose-bleed seat Jazz game, but one that is really close to the court.  I guess I should start saving my nickles, eh?

2 comments:

Carr Family said...

What a great mom! I love how close you guys are. That is so awesome!!

Heather said...

What a cute post! I loved reading it. My Grandma and my uncle Todd were/are die hard Jazz fans too.:)
She always kept me updated on the Jazz.