Wednesday, March 2, 2011

o-oh, livin' on a prayer!

There are quite a few strains of music that make my heart want to leap out of my chest, but even fewer that make me want to leap out of my seat.  On Thursday, February 24th 2011 at MSG, I learned that Bon Jovi's music does both for me.

I've always been a fan of Bon Jovi.  In fact, I remember the exact moment that I first heard his music and fell in love with it.  We were taking an extended family trip down to Mesquite, NV to visit my Aunt Susan and her family that lived down there.  For reasons I cannot remember, I rode with my cousins instead of my family.  The drive was a good 5 or 6 hours back then (read:  parents driving.  no speeding.)  and I recall that Aunt Brenda and Uncle Dan let the kids rotate music.  Greg, one of my older cousins had a Bon Jovi album (I think it was a cassette tape) and my younger cousin Diane, had Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl".  For some reason, I only remember those two being played.  But from the first strains of "Livin' On A Prayer" to the last, I knew that my life would never be the same.  (See the video here.)

So on the night of the Bon Jovi concert, when my ears heard the words, "Shot through the heart", my heart kicked me to my feet.  I wanted to scream louder than my body would actually allow me to but I did manage to get out a scream that showcased my approval and excitement. 

Now Bon Jovi puts on a great show.  He is keenly aware of his audience and what they want to hear.  He played for nearly three hours and took a measly five minute break.  And can I just say, that for a rock star who is in his late 40's he was looking really good! :)

My favorite part of the show, however, was his last encore number--"Livin' On A Prayer".  Everyone was on their feet, fist pumping, singing, clapping, and grinning wildly...or maybe that was just me.  It was as if a life long dream had been fulfilled.  For that one moment, I was a part of something universal and the world was a happy place.  Thanks, Tami, for wanting to experience the power of Bon Jovi with me.  It was all I ever hoped for and dreamed of....well, almost.  Had he sung "Always" it would have been perfect perfect as opposed to just perfect.

If interested, you'll find the set list below:

Last Man Standing
You Give Love A Bad Name
Born To Be My Baby
We Weren't Born To Follow
Lost Highway
When We Were Beautiful
It's My Life
Runaway
Superman Tonight
The More Things Change
Bad Medicine/Pretty Woman
Lay Your Hands On Me (Richie vox)
Make A Memory
I'll Be There For You (duet)
Something For The Pain
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
Who Says You Can't Go Home                                                    
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead/Start Me Up
No Apologies
Have A Nice Day
Keep The Faith
In These Arms
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Livin' On A Prayer

5 comments:

Brett and Diane said...

Oh you just made me SO excited. Brett and I have tickets for when Bon Jovi comes to SLC on March 22. I'm taking Brett for his 30th birthday he's never been to a concert. I'll have to call ya and talk Bon Jovi!=) We've been wondering who opens for him. I agree Always would be great one to hear but thanks for posting his song list, I can’t wait. He has so many great hits!

malia said...

You are going to love it!!! Seriously, it was so awesome. My only suggestion is to make sure that you brush up on his music so that you can sing along with the rest of his die-hard fans. :)

And no one opened for him. He sang the entire time. I know that others have opened for him in other places. I think that because he is from NJ, he wanted to do the entire concert but not sure. :) Hope you have so much fun and yes, let's talk about it!!

Heather said...

They really put on a great show! Chris and I saw them when we were dating in Vegas. His fans are die hards!!!

emms _b said...

Malia... I feel that you and I are the same. From the first time I heard bon jovi, jon has owned my heart. My little 5th grade heart. How could he not with a song like 'always'... They are the first cd I ever bought and you lady, have accomplished one of my life goals... To see them live. I live in envy of you and your glorious life.

Christie Norris said...

I got goose bumps just hearing you talk about it.