Wednesday, July 4, 2007

can i get a little patriotism?

I have always been a little sensitive when it comes to being patriotic. Simply put, I love America. I am grateful for the freedoms that we have, the opportunities that are ours because we live here. I am grateful for those that have sacrificed their time and even their very lives to preserve these freedoms. I feel very blessed to live here. I am unsure, however, what prompted such national pride. I don’t ever remember being preached to about the greatness of our country. It was just something that always was, I suppose.

To prove my point: I was the kindergartener who had tears in her eyes when we recited the Pledge of Allegiance, the 3rd grader who glared at those who disrespected the flag. I was the 5th who got choked up when we all sang, “God Bless the USA” for the school assembly. I was the first to rise when the colors were being posted and the last to sit when it was done, somehow thinking that this was directly correlated to the amount of Patriotism one had. I remember during the Gulf War an All-Star performance of an original song entitled, “Stand Tall, Stand Proud” during some program honoring the soldiers over seas. I remember standing in the hall, refusing to come into the living room to watch the program with my mother because I didn’t want her to see the tears streaming down my face. I remember being asked to sing the National Anthem at a high school basketball game and thinking it to be such a privilege because it was not only our country’s National Anthem, but also one of my most favorite songs. And finally, I remember this very performance of the National Anthem in 199--ultimate diva, Whitney Houston, Super Bowl XXV. I don’t know if it was the beauty and power of her voice, or if it was my patriotism kicking in--probably a combination of both. But this rendition gave me chills. And let me assure you, there were tears. Even now…yeah.

Also for your viewing pleasure:

Faith Hill: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJI_rlar68M

NSYNC!!! 2002 Winter Olympics in UT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kxBRMMgo254

3 comments:

Annie said...

Malia, loved the post! Trevor and I found your blog tonight. And as we watched the iconic Whitney sing, we both got goosebumps. I could listen to that all day long. Happy 4th of July!

Rachel said...

Malia, how come I didn't know you had a blog too? Here you have been checking mine, and I didn't even know you had your own. Well, now I know and I will add you to my list of favorite bloggers, if you don't mind. Then I'll stay caught up on your life as well! Love ya lots!

Dottie Stay said...

Malia,

I love your blog, and I love your pictures!! You are such a beautiful girl! Your life in NYC sounds like a blast. You look like you are having fun, and have some great friends! Much love!

Melinda