Monday, July 2, 2007

forget someone hypnosis


For most of us, when we think of hypnosis, we think of people "letting go" of their inhibitions in a comedy club, or the type of therapy that involves lying on a couch and being hypnotized in order to remember and deal with traumatic events. But what if there was a type of hypnosis, a therapy of sorts, that helped you to actually forget? A hypnosis that not only helps you forget a specific time or event, but one that could actually help you to forget someone. A therapy that could help you forget that this person was ever a part of your life. Would you do it?


It's called "Forget Someone Hypnosis". Creative name, I know. The therapist basically creates an environment where the patient can be put into a deep somnambulistic state of trance. The deeper the trance, the more effective the therapy. The end goal is amnesia or specific memory loss surrounding said person or event. Most therapists and doctors of all sorts would refuse to treat a patient this way. Considered highly unethical, most would suggest trying to work through the issues and reassigning new meaning to these experiences. But what if you don't want to? What if it is too painful? What if you have tried and nothing has worked? What if you just want to forget it ever happened? Forget this person ever happened? What if you just want to be free from the hurt, the worry, and the rejection?
Think about it. How would it be to be free of the sting when you hear this person's name or see their face? How would it be to visit a place or repeat an activity that you two had been to or done before, and not be pained by or brutally nostalgic about it? Even more weird, how would it be to meet this person again and not remember anything that transpired between you two? You wouldn't remember the good times or the bad. You wouldn't hurt every time you saw this person. Would you feel that something was missing? Once upon a time, this person added to and enhanced your life. Now he/she only bring sadness. Would you feel the loss? Or would it be liberating?


Is this treatment unethical? Maybe.
Sanctioned by legitimate health care professionals? Nope.
Dangerous? Probably.
Would I do it? The jury is still out, but I think that I would...and that is sad to me.

5 comments:

malia said...

A little follow up reading:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070703/sc_livescience/newdrugdeletesbadmemories

Jen said...

Malia,
Hi! It's Jenny Lloyd, now Gray. I thought this post was so interesting. Sadly, I think I could use a little of this. Not because people in my life have been so awful... but because I think I can be too sensitive. I wish I could forget hurtful things that happened-- well-- a LONG time ago. I am so glad to see you are happy and doing well. Do you mind if I link you to my blog? jenngray.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I typed in hypnosis to forget and it led me to this page. Yet it's from 2007. What you say is true. And in my situation. If I could forget him I would.

Anonymous said...

i need this to save my life

malia said...

It's interesting to come back to my older posts and to see how things have changed. While still the same person, I feel as if I am looking at life through a completely different lens. Life is better now. I haven't forgotten this person, but as the saying goes, "time heals (all) wounds". I have moved on. I have dealt with the loss. I am just fine. In fact, this once hellish situation has made me a stronger, more capable person. The human spirit is much more resiliant than we realize. Boy, am I grateful for that...