Thursday, July 12, 2007

oh harry!



There used to be only one Harry in my life--Harry Connick, Jr. Ah, dreamy on the inside and out. That man makes such beautiful music and has such a sexy voice that I swoon every time he croons. No joke! But alas, my heart has made room for another Harry--Harry Potter. Granted, my fascination with Harry Potter and friends is nothing like that of my jazz musician, but there is affection still the same....maybe obsession is more accurate.

I remember when Harry Potter first came out. It was all the craze and for some reason, just to be different, I decided I would have no part in it. I didn't read the book. I didn't read the next one either and was perfectly happy with my decision. Then, right before the publication of the third book, my good friend, Brock, invited me to see the first movie on opening night. I agreed despite my stubborn streak. Little did I know that my life would soon change forever with the release of the first Harry Potter movie...Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I was mesmorized by this fictional world that was unraveling before my eyes and amused by the thoughtful detail put into every storyline. It was love at first sight. I went out and bought the first book that very night.
Since that fateful evening, I have consumed each book in approximately two days immediately after it was published and have watched each movie dozens of times. I have daydreamed about possessing the ability to turn back time, the power to render my nemeses (yes, that's plural) utterly helpless, and the thrill of the elements obeying my every command. These books have whisked me away into a brilliant, magical world and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I have become one of millions obsessed with J.K. Rowling's most famous creation.

And now we are at the end of the series. As usual, I devoured the book--759 pages in all--in just a couple of days. But at the same time, I found myself not wanting to finish it as quickly as the others. I didn't want the story or my little fantasy world to end. Harry Potter was 10 years in the making and I was finishing his "final chapter". And so, I read and savored each word. I marvelled at the author's ability to fill in the gaps, tie up loose ends, and explain complex mysteries of Horcruxes, wands, and shady pasts. I was shocked at certain deaths, cried at others, and was touched at how things ended. For some silly reason, despite the happy ending, I was sad to leave it, sad that there wouldn't be another book to "take me away", sad to not be a part of his life anymore. Harry Potter's story had come to a close whether I liked it or not. And yet, I am satisfied with the adventure. It was a good ride while it lasted and the "boy who lived", though story complete, will continue to live in my library for years and years to come.

No comments: