Friday, July 13, 2007

freezer pains


The other day I noticed my freezer wasn't freezing as well as it should. Thinking it was a minor problem, I cleaned things out a bit and hoped for the best. I checked it the next day and things seemed to still be frozen. However, 24 hours later, I once again had slushy chocolate creamies. I called the super and left a message explaining the problem and asked him to call me back. Several hours passed and so I called again. He told me that he would call the repair place and then ring me later. Night came and went and still no call. I called him back and he relayed the following: They hadn't called him back so he would call the Landlord as soon as he hung up with me. Somehow, I don't think he was as worried about rotting food as I was.


I went to work and surveyed a few co-workers about the life span of my food residing in the freezer. The consensus was that if I kept it shut and if things were still frozen it might be ok until the repairman comes.


Two more days passed and I have since relieved the freezer of its contents. Hundreds of dollars worth of food, gone. (Yes, hundreds of dollars...I live in the most expensive city in the world.) I went to bed upset.


Now Friday is upon us and I am still lacking a freezer. I called early this morning with the intention of whipping out some New York attitude. I was supposed to have received a phone call. I first called the Super, then the Landlord, then the repair company. For some reason, that I still can't explain, I didn't have the guts to pull out the attitude. Instead I was polite and understanding. What is wrong with me?


Obviously, I have been thinking about this all day long and came up with the following two options:


1) I didn't want to create problems with my landlord as I am hoping for a particular favor in the near future.


OR


2) It was pointless. Customer service in New York City essentially doesn't exist. And the little that does is a joke. If you are unhappy with a business and never patronize them again, it doesn't matter. There is another fool right behind you that will take your place. There will be no repercussions, no changes made, just more angst for me.


So, here I am, Friday night, still no freezer until tomorrow morning and complaining and mourning the loss of my ice cream and resenting my building more than ever. Oh the pain...

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Grrr. . .I'm sorry. I would be TICKED off. I need my ice cream in the evening or the day is not complete. Hopefully they'll be there tomorrow to fix it for you! Love ya tons!

Dottie Stay said...

Hey, I would be ticked too! We have a downstairs freezer, and somehow it got turned off. We lost a lot of food, and it made me sick. That is such a pain, and I have are really hard time seeing you whip out any kind of attitude! Let us know how it turns out.

malia said...

Believe it or not, I can whip out some NY attitude when I want to. I think moving here was good for me...well, in some ways. :)

Jen said...

I am proud of you, Malia. My problem is that I have NY attitude in Utah. Not a good combo! I wish I could be more polite under those circumstances. I once had a problem with our cable company and used the word "hell". I was asked not to use profanities.