Friday, January 23, 2009

sneaky, sneaky...

Now I was a really good kid when I was little. I was the responsible one, didn't cause too much trouble, and was always concerned about not worrying my parents. One day, however, I thought I would switch it up. Not quite sure why.

My mom usually woke me up in the mornings by turning on the light and saying, "Malia, it's time to get up." I would usually get up the first time she called, if not the first, then at least the second. This one particular morning took place during my sleeping bag phase. I was probably in third or fourth grade. We had just purchased sleeping bags and didn't use them nearly enough so I slept in mine on top of my bed. It was silky.

One morning my mom came into my room and did the usual, flipped on the light, "Malia, it's time to get up." I heard her but didn't move. She came in again and did the same thing. I didn't move. She left. Then I started thinking, "it would be really funny to make my parents think that I had run away or was kidnapped." So I sneaked out of my sleeping bag and buried myself in my closet, in the toy chest, underneath all of my stuffed animals.

My mom came into my room, a little more upset this time that I wasn't listening to her and walked up to my bed this time. She moved the blankets and sleeping bag around and found that I wasn't there. She started to look in the other rooms. Didn't find me there. She went back to the bed. Still wasn't there. She went to the closet but didn't look well enough. She started to panic at this point and called to my dad. I figured out that they might look in the closet again so I had better move. I moved into another room just in time to see them both go into my bedroom to look for me yet again. Once more, they came up empty handed. They moved onto another part of the house and I decided that it would be really funny to pretend to have been in my sleeping bag the whole time.

So I ducked back into my room and jumped into my sleeping bag. I started to hear the rising panic in my parents voice so I started to make some noise so that they would find me in my room. Needless to say, they found me. And yeah, I got in trouble...

12 comments:

Aubri said...

yeah-you were such a trouble maker...right. You rarely got in trouble from what I remember. There was that one time you clawed James' back during a water fight though. Do you ever hear from Laura C.?

Anonymous said...

Great story Malia! Why do I get the impression this is the most trouble you ever got in as a kid?

Livi said...

I love how you write! I would have been so scared if I was your Mom.

Unknown said...

We enjoyed our bedtime story!!! We could just picture your mom and dad looking for you! We are glad they found you because we like you in our world! Love you --Uncle Dan and Aunt Brenda

Unknown said...

What a cute bedtime story! We could just picture your mom and dad looking for you!!! We are glad they found you because we like you in our world! Love you --Uncle Dan and Aunt Brenda

Elizabeth said...

Malia-what a rascal! I had no idea. I love knowing you had a sleeping bag phase. I still don't think you use it enough, guess that means you need more trips out to Vernal. We will have to take you camping. I hope you are well. I miss you!

Carr Family said...

That is such a hilarious story! Thanks for sharing it, it made me laugh...and it also made me hope that my girls never do that to me. :)

Maria said...

So there's probably a whole lot WORSE things you could do... but good to see you were a weird kid like the rest of us :)

Laura said...

Malia, how did I not ever know that story?! That is hilarious! I hope you are doing well and not freezing too much!! I am sending you warm wishes! Love you!!

Sarah said...

Lol, Malia. I can just see your 3rd grade self doing that.

Christie Norris said...

Malia, Malia. You troublemaker you. You know you're a good kid when you can point to specific instances of trying not to be.

Mary said...

That is too funny! I was thinking I would have given it up way sooner. Maybe you didn't like getting in trouble, but you're brave. Funny story...now watch my kids try it.