Wednesday, January 7, 2009

don't cry over spilt milk...just pray


The other morning I was rushing to get ready and thought that I would eat my breakfast while checking email on my laptop. As I was logging into my account, my hand seemed to flail out in front of me, hit my full glass of milk and I watched in horror as it spilled across the keyboard and began to disappear into the keys. The computer screen quickly faded into a murky black and I sat there, paralyzed. A few precious seconds passed by before my brain connected to my hands, telling them to get that computer out of the milky puddle. I cleared off the desk in a flash, grabbed some towels and flipped the computer upside down. I did my best to dry the thing off but milk continued to seep out of the keys every time I pressed one of them.


If you know me, I never have any luck with technology. Just a few months previous my flash drive, literally containing my life (work, church, personal, thousands of pictures), suddenly was no longer recognized on any computer that I plugged it into. I was lucky enough that I found a company that specialized in recovering data, but you get the point. So here I was with a soaking computer and zero money to replace it. I tipped it on it's side, dismantled as much as I could, and placed a fan in front of it on my way out. I prayed long and hard that day that it would work when I got home.


Later that night as I returned from the evening's activities, I found my computer exactly where I had left it. I flipped it over and tried the power button. Nothing. I pressed all of the keys then tried the power button. Nothing. It was time to take it apart. I got out my screwdriver and started to remove the different panels. I cleaned every piece that I could, removed dust and dirt where I found it, and then put the thing back together again. But before I tried the power button, I bowed my head one last time and begged Heavenly Father to let it work because I didn't have any other option. After I opened my eyes I took a deep breath and pushed that power button once more. To my relief, the familiar hum and power on sound of the computer filled the air. It was music to my ears...but more importantly, a direct answer to prayer and a kind blessing from Heaven.

1 comment:

Livi said...

Oh my goodness that is my GREATEST fear. Tender mercies for sure.