Sunday, April 15, 2007

Bois frissonnants, ciel etoile







I had the greatest day ever yesterday! New York, though one of the most amazing cities in the world, is not really known for it's perfect weather. In fact, there are probably only 3 weeks of perfect weather in the spring and 3 perfect weeks in the fall. Considering my unusually high thermostat, one would think that New York's summer and winter months would force a girl like me out, but no, I stay...and will continue to stay until who knows when. Fortuntately, yesterday, was one of those perfect days. With beautiful weather on my side and great company, who could really ask for anything more?

First stop, the American Natural History Museum. Yes, it might seem odd that on such an amazing day, I holed myself up in a museum. But this excursion was planned well before we knew what weather would be had. And besides, we didn't think to bring a Frisbee and I was wearing heels. Accompanied by Nathan and Oscar, I was surely the envy of every woman as we strolled through exhibit after exhibit. We made our way through space, through the oceanic biosphere, and even through time...to visit the dinosaurs. That's when things really got interesting...or at least when the camera came out. Who knew that the camera brought out so much of the child in us. But then again, maybe it was the dinosaurs http://www.cbv.ns.ca/marigold/history/dinosaurs/dinosaurs.html.

After the museum visit, I basked in the fading sun reading. I felt as if I was in a movie where the main character (me) was at a point in her life where she was making important decisions that necessitated much thought. Decisions so important that forced her to stop reading, pull out her journal, and write her thoughts out in the middle of a busy plaza--despite a slight chill in the air.

Not long after, Adam came and rescued me from my thoughts. We headed to dinner at this Turkish place called Pasha...or something like that. According to Adam it was "red and sexy". And after dining there, I would have to agree. We had the most amazing meal that I still sometimes think about and crave. And for the first time, I tried lamb. I was hesitant to at first. I kept conjuring up images of baby lambs frolicking through a pretty field until Adam helped me to refocus. He told me that we were eating grown up lambs, not the baby lambs that farmers raise in boxes.

Dinner was followed by a vocal recital performed by one of Adam's friends. He actually plays for her while she rehearses so he was excited to hear the finished product. The recital hall was packed with students from Julliard and a bus load of members from her congregation. They drove up for her final recital to show their unwavering support. I thought it was really sweet...despite them not knowing when to clap (which is usually a pet peeve of mine). They were just so excited for her, that it was hard not to be excited right along with them...aside from the clapping in between movements and also during an actual piece. But I was feelin' it just the same.


Afterwards we sat out by the fountain in the middle of Lincoln Square and talked about whatever popped into our heads. With such beautiful weather, an elegant setting, and such fantastic company, it was a New York moment that I didn't want to end. But as with most good things, there is an end and so it was with this night. It finally got too cold to sit on the stone slab surrounding the fountain and so we headed home.

But during our stream of consciousness conversation we decided to "translate" some of the lyrics that were performed that evening. They were in German, French, and Italian. We didn't do so well with the German. Adam rocked at the Italian as he is fluent in Spanish. I was able to get bits and pieces here and there. And he did fairly well at the French. Below you will find a poem that we both fell in love with. Upon first read, we took things figuratively. But as we continued to study, we realized how literal the translation was. We were so shocked by our new found conclusion that all we could do was laugh. A perfect ending, in my mind, to a wonderful night...and day, for that matter.

I love New York!


Poem by Chalres Cros (1842-1888)

Trembling trees, starry sky
My beloved has gone away
Bearing with him my desolate heart.

Winds, let your plaintive noises
Let your songs, charming nightingales,
Tell him that I die.

The first night he came here,
My soul was at his mercy;
I no longer cared about my pride.

My glances were full of promise.
He took me into his trembling arms
And kissed me near the hair.

I felt a great quivering.
And then, I don't know how he became my lover.

I said to him: "You will love me
As long as you are able."
I never slept as well as in his arms.

But he, feeling his heart fade,
Left the other day
Without me, for a foreign land.

Since I no longer have my friend,
I will die in this pool, among
The flowers under the sleeping current.

Arriving on the shoreline,
I will speak his name to the wind,
In a dream that I await him there.

And like in a gilded shroud
With hair tousled at the wind's whim,
I will let myself go.

The happy hours of the past
will glimmer on my face,
And the green reeds will entrap me.

And my breast, shuddering under the caress
of their entwinement,
will believe it submits to the embrace of the one who left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that poem is really great- but even better in French-and so good when sung with a string quartet that it makes me want to love someone and then be abandoned so that i can sing out 'l'absent' on a high G and then drown myself in the Hudson. That was a great night and I'm bummed that we didn't snap a picture.