Tuesday, April 3, 2007

i had a little visitor



Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I had a little visitor
I've had a little visitor.
He comes and goes as he pleases.

He never knocks, he never talks.
I don't even know when he's coming to visit.
Today I went to buy him a little home.
Two in fact.

I placed them in his favorite places.
And even left a little tempting treat.
It didn't take long for my visitor to come.
I think I saw him, but it was just a blur.

I waited and waited to see if he would like his home
......or if he would be tempted by my treats.
Then suddenly, without warning, there was a knock.
A bump, a knock, some scratching, and then nothing.

It comes and goes, just like before.
But it seems to be contained.
And now I hear him..every move he makes.
Now that he's in his little home, I feel a little guilty.

I tricked him!
But I can't live with him.
The uncertainty of it all is just too much.
I'm sorry, my little visitor.
But you came without asking.

I don't want you to return.
Soon, I will send you on your way.
It will be a better place.
One where you can come and go as you please.
A place where there will be treats unnumbered.
Maybe one day I will visit you.



UPDATE: The guilt over my little visitor didn't last long. I soon found out that it was not in its little home, but rather the radiator was making those strange sounds. Very soon after, however, I came home to find my little visitor sprawled out on the floor. It had gone to America where the streets are filled with cheese...My supervisor was kind enough to remove my little visitor. I, however, made the rounds filling holes, putting everything in containers and cleaning consistently.
Moral: Should you find yourself with an unexpected and unwelcomed visitor, just sing this little number, "Aqui no hay gatos en America y los calles son llenos con queso..."

No comments: