Saturday, May 26, 2007

here we go again

Once again I spent the evening with a friend, helping him to pack up "his life" as he moves on. Granted, he will be returning for a few weeks in August, but shortly thereafter, he will have moved on to pursue a great opportunity that will most definitely advance his career. I realized last night, that I have gone through this process with several friends on several occassions. Moving on is a very natural part of life. The problem is, however, I get attached. While I am excited for their progression and opportunity, I am saddened by the natural change in our relationship, that takes place as a result. Yes, yes, I know it's a part of life. But it doens't mean that I have to like every bit of it.

But on the up side, I was able to go to his graduation and watch as he walked at this prestigious institution. We had a lovely walk trying to find a place to eat, consumed half of New York's water reserves while at dinner at a swanky little place called Cafeteria. I showed him the finer art of packing and managed to fit all of his belongings into the allotted space. And then enjoyed Man vs. Wild, a crazy show about a thrillseeker who tries to survive in the wilderness in various locations. Couple this evening with many other fun times and this is what friendships are made of. I guess people will always come and go...but the good thing about life is that the memories always remain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. Even though moving on is a part of life, its a loss of sorts in our own. Unfortunately, these changes never get easy (well, maybe they do, but they are still hard for me).