Tuesday, September 16, 2008

M's Dilem


In a small effort to save money, I usually try to bring my lunch to work and I always eat breakfast at home. However, just recently, there was a two week period when the decision was to either make my lunch or to eat breakfast. Had I woken up the first time my alarm went off, the problem would have been solved, but nope, I love that snooze function. So I made my lunch and would leave on an empty stomach.


One block away from the office is a little cafe/market called Emma's Dilemma. They make yummy little breakfast sandwiches any way you like them. Nearly every morning I would order the same thing....whole wheat bagel, toasted, lightly buttered, turkey, eggs. I would also buy a quart of milk that would last me 2 to 3 days. Pretty simple, but heaven to my morning taste buds. I went in so frequently that the people would say, "See you tomorrow." And the best part about it was that it was only $2.50. I could afford $2.50.

As time went by, I noticed that the man helping me was getting more and more friendly, dare I say, even bold. He would tell me that I was beautiful or that he liked me and I would just laugh it off and walk to the other end of the cafe "to get something else" and would come back when I knew that the breakfast delight was done. Don't get me wrong, I was polite, but I didn't like him staring me down all the time. It was uncomfortable, at best.

A day or two later I entered Emma's for my same morning ritual. I placed my order with Mr. Creepy man. He again told me how much he liked me and then for the first time ever, he made kissing noises in the air.

Sick.

I immediately went to the other end of the store as usual. I came back and saw that another man was wrapping up my sandwich and that he was pricing it today. I got it back and it said $3.50. Now my order has been the same for 2 weeks and so has the price. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then it hit me. My little stalker friend had been giving me a one dollar discount for the past two weeks. I paid the $3.50 and hightailed it out of there.

Walking to work I weighed the options. Save a dollar and be creeped out or wake up 15 minutes earlier/starve (if the snooze alarm continued to tempt me). For a few moments, it really was a dilemma. I was tempted to take advantage of the savings and just continue on my merry way. But I decided that I couldn't. Since that kissy face day I haven't been to Emma's. My mind is at ease...and honestly, my wallet feels a little better too.

1 comment:

Livi said...

HAHA this may be my favorite post yet! If I had a dime for all the creepy men in New York..... that is sad that you had to be harassed to get a discount and give up all that yummy food. It sounds delish!