Saturday, September 27, 2008

star struck



So there I was sitting on a bench in Madison Square Park. I was on the phone with my good friend Sarah and we were catching up after a pretty shoddy game of phone tag. A camera crew walked passed me and continued on down the path--quite a common sight in New York City. I readjusted to make myself a little more comfortable and noticed that the camera crew was finally filming. My eyes shifted to the right to see the subject of their focus and there they were…in all their fashionista glory: Clinton Kelly and Stacy London from What Not To Wear. At this point I stopped talking and gasped. I fumbled for words as I stood up to get a better look. I finally managed to sputter a few intelligible sentences so that Sarah could understand what was going on. It was especially fitting that I was sharing this moment with her, as she was the one who introduced me to this magnificent show. I hesitantly walked towards them as they shot their second take. I stopped when they did. Then I remembered where I was, what I was doing, who they were….and what I was wearing. I bolted back to the safety of my bench as they casually mingled in their little group.

Now I wasn’t a ball of fashion disaster. I looked just fine. I was wearing black slacks and a jeweled tone blouse—totally appropriate for work and to be seen out in public. One faux pas, however, was my footwear. Not wanting to torture my feet, I always slip out of my heels and into flip-flops or flats when I take my lunch break. Today I was wearing my flip-flops and though black, I didn’t feel that they elongated my already short frame—a little trick of the trade that I was sure Stacy would notice and somehow condemn.

If you aren’t familiar with the show, dear friends, the premise is this: Participants are nominated by well-meaning and loving friends/relatives. Weeks before the episode, secret footage is taken, highlighting their fashion catastrophes. At this point, Clinton and Stacy surprise this person and go on to critique their current style. Though truthful, it can be harsh. The nominated participant has an opportunity to not only learn “what not to wear” but also gets a $5000 shopping spree….IF they agree to trash their entire existing wardrobe. A bonus makeup and hair makeover is also thrown in. In the end this person emerges with a new wardrobe, first hand fashion knowledge from the gurus of style, and a completely new look. It’s a dream.

Back to the bench…I continued to sit and watch as they were smiling and laughing and being their beautiful selves. And then my heart stopped…they turned the corner and started to walk down the path right in front of me. I couldn’t pull my eyes away and I felt myself smiling like a fool. My eyes darted from Clinton to Stacy and then back to Clinton. He was positively dreamy. As they approached, Clinton looked at me and began to grin. That grin turned into a full on smile. I was in love. He was absolutely adorable. Surely he saw the obsession behind my eyes but it didn’t phase him one bit. I was grateful that he was so gracious. I continued to stare as they walked down the path and then out of sight. Oh, how I love living in New York City.


12 comments:

Ace said...

I agree. Clinton. Yes. Yummy. :)

Susieq said...

Ru introduced me to that show. She would have loved hearing this. She used to quote that show all the time. My wardrobe drove her nuts.

Livi said...

WOW I love Madison Square Gardens AND WHat NOt TO WEar so I am super jealous. Also, your outfit is pretty

Laura said...

I love that show!! You are so lucky! I would love to be nominated for that show...maybe after I am done enlarging to the size of a small whale each time I have a child!!

Maria said...

I actually think about that show all the time... I look at my clothes and throw things out that I know they wouldn't go for. Sad, huh. But that is so awesome you saw them!!!

Rachel said...

I love that show! I've thought of nominating myself by pretending to be hubby, but thought it may be a little crazy! I agree- love, love, love Clinton too!

Jilleen said...

My husband rolls his eyes every time he sees me watching it (which is rarely, unfortunately!) I love it when something so random can make a so-so day a great day!

Brett and Diane said...

Wow I went bananas when I read your post how fun would that be I love Clinton Kelly and Stacy London. I would have been bug eyes too seeing them. Your posts are so fun to read...keep on a posting. Hope you're doing well.

Mary said...

That made us laugh. I would totally do the same thing...run back to the bench that is. I love the show, but would die of embarassment if I had to go through my wardrobe and go shopping on national television!

The Favorite said...

You always look beautiful!
That's soo cool that you saw them. I think I would have been as awe struck as you were, fun life in the city you have.

Christie Norris said...

I so would have thought they were coming to get me!

Hillary said...

Too funny. I love this!